Sunday 19 June 2016

Authenticity

Hi Gang,

So, it has been a great week.  Above and beyond doing what I planned, I started looking into YouTube videos.  I had an idea about posting funny videos about coaching (yes, coaching can be funny).

So, what do you think were the first reactions of people when I mentioned it?

  • YouTube videos are a lot of work!
  • YouTube videos are for young people!
  • You can't make money with YouTube!
  • YouTube is too competitive!
  • It costs a lot of money to buy the proper video equipment!
Well, that's an encouraging isn't it? :)

So, what should a person do when faced with such a blunt condemnation of an idea?  Some may think I should listen to my friends and stay away from YouTube.  Well, to me those comments make me think I should start making YouTube videos.

It is perfectly reasonable to think I have faulty logic at this point, but please hear me out.  What were my friends saying when they gave me the feedback above? They were telling me every reason they would not make a video, and for them they were all valid reasons.  However, those are not reasons for me not to do it.  Here, let me break it down:

YouTube videos are a lot of work!  I am aware that they require a lot of effort, but whether it is work or play is all about perspective.  If you enjoy doing something, the time and effort devoted to a project do not really qualify as work.  To put it into perspective, to make a video would be fun for me, play time, if you will.  By contrast, going fishing or going shopping for me is work (clearly there are differences between what I enjoy and what another person may enjoy).

YouTube videos are for young people! You can't make money with YouTube! YouTube is too competitive! It costs a lot of money to buy the proper video equipment!

I threw all four of these together, because they are all essentially the same comment, YOU WON'T MAKE ANY MONEY! 

I understand that successful YouTube video makers are typically half my age or less.  Okay, I'm old, I get it, LOL.  However, I would never assume that I am going to make a chart breaking video.  For me, money is not a primary motivator when making a decision.  

When I started coaching, I was already quite successful making a six figure salary in a very safe and stable organization.  If money were a major motivation for me, I would never have considered coaching.  After all, the coaching industry is generally not fiscally advantageous, and is absolutely not safe or stable.  

However, believe it or not, there is more to life than money.  Years ago I had a very enlightening experience when I was on a business trip in Iqaluit, Nunavut.  If you are not aware, that is a community in the far north of Canada (yes, polar bear kinda north).

When I arrived there, I experienced a major cultural clash.  I am of European decent and hold many of the values that go with that.  For example, I believe that getting married and raising children is contingent on making money, so that you can protect and provide for your family. At the time, this seemed like a truth, as opposed to a perspective.

Let me tell you, it became very clear, very quickly, that my views were a perspective, not a truth. In Iqaluit, children belong to the community, as does everything.  If someone has children, the community is expected to watch over them and feed them.  Parents don't need to watch over the children, because someone else will look out for them when the parents aren't around.  If someone has food, other members of the community will walk into that person's house and eat what they like.

Now, I am not saying money should never be a motivator, and despite my northern adventures I am still a big fan of living up to my financial obligations and taking responsibility for my family.  However, unfortunately many people think money is the only important consideration in any decision.

My primary motivation is to help people and relate to people, not become the Justin Bieber... boy is that not my motivation, LOL.  To be true to myself, I need to do what I enjoy, even if that doesn't always result in financial gain. The funny thing is, if someone is doing something they enjoy, often money will follow.   

So, others don't want to make YouTube videos.  That's awesome.  After all, I don't want to die having been just like everyone else.  The point is, I do want to, and if I don't try I am not being authentic to who I am.  

We are all put on this planet with the potential to do something memorable.  It doesn't always have to be grand, but it should be something that is a reflection of who we really are.  Nobody can know what is right for you, except you.  Maybe you would make a great doctor or lawyer or rock star.  No career or project is wrong for you to devote your efforts towards, unless you feel it is wrong for you.  Now, I won't be posting a video right away, because they do take a lot of prep work (I am excited, but not naive)... but I will be posting a video this year.

What thing could you do that would be an authentic expression of who you are? 

Please leave comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment