Sunday 26 June 2016

Support

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the views over the last week, I really appreciate it.

Speaking of appreciation, there are a lot of good people in the world and a lot of them want to help. In coaching we often ask clients who (or what) can support them in the achievement of their goals.  What clients often neglect to consider when they have a problem is that they are are not alone.

Actually, a big part of why I love coaching is the gratification I receive from helping people (I hope that is obvious in the photo).  Coaching is all about supporting people through their challenges.  Not doing things for people, but helping them to get the best out of themselves.

I really appreciate my clients, and I like seeing them get ahead. The terrific part of being a coach is that when clients leave sessions, they have generally figured out at least one important change they want to make.  It makes me truly happy, knowing that I was able to ask them the right questions, which in turn allowed them to gain insights into what is important to them.   With coaching, I get to see my clients living more fulfilled lives and I get the satisfaction of knowing that I was a part of that.

OK, enough about coaching... What has me so focused on support this week?  Well, if you read last week, you know I am looking into doing YouTube videos.  Further, as I said, there is a lot to do in advance, lots of research, and lots of things to purchase.  Well, I was quite prepared to go it alone and didn't ask for any help.  However, despite not being asked, my terrific wife got behind me and has been helping me every step of the way this week.

Am I surprised that she is being helpful? No, she is great.  Am I surprised that she proactively started helping on this initiative, Well, yeah, a bit.  YouTube videos are definitely not her thing.  However, she is so supportive you would think it was her idea, as opposed to an expense that will not provide her any personal benefit (and may result in one less purse, lol).

So, even though I regularly ask clients who can help them, sometimes I forget to ask myself.  I also sometimes forget how much a little support can make something more enjoyable.  Everybody, needs a little support sometimes, even if it is just a little encouragement.

I have always been grateful for the support of my wife who saw "potential" in me almost 20 years ago when I had no money and lots of student debt.  I also know my family and friends have my back.  What is easy to forget is that people like to help those that they care about.  It doesn't have to be a matter of life and death before we ask for a helping hand.

In fairness, we are all raised to be independent.  Independence is a great thing.  After all, self motivation is the best kind of motivation.  However, sometimes a little support can make all the difference.  I need to make an effort to remind myself of that more often.

Who can support you?  I would love to hear what you have to say in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment